Tuesday 10 February 2009

TWD: Floating Islands

This weeks recipe was not something I'd usually pick of the 4. I mean I have been dying to make the cover cake since getting the book. Strangely I'm going to NOT make it as I think a) i don't need any additional cake around as I try and slim down before our wedding and b) If I am making cake its going to be trial wedding cake. So since the fiance loves custard I thought this would be a great choice. The creme anglaise was no problem (mine was quite a bit yellower than the picture in the book, but very tasty)
However the islands were a huge disappointment. Basically they resembeled poached egg whites and were not appetizing. After putting them in the fridge to cool I googled a few other recipes for the islands and there were the key words. beat until stiff. Dori only mentions satiny glossyness. Thats when I stopped and well yeah it was more like floating rubber life rings than islands.
I thought about re making the islands but time as always was an issue so I hoped the caramel would help.
Here they are looking all rubbery

Now with some decorative carmel?!

Oh well its actually a good thing that the dessert doesn't make me want to eat more of it!

Be sure to check out the rest of the TWD group and see there (probably more successful) attempts at this dessert.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Well, at least you tried. I skipped the islands this week. Good luck on the wedding cake testing, though!

Jules Someone said...

I didn't even try it this week. Good for you!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Hahaha awww I'm sorry it didn't work out. I hope that your trial wedding cake turns out fabulously, though!

Shari said...

Sorry you didn't like it! Good luck with your wedding.

Jacque said...

Well darn! But this should help in your goal of slimming down :) good luck!